Miniature Canon at Start from Castle of Good Hope
Slave Lodge – Adderley Street
Koesister Hill (Pentz Street, Bo Kaap)
Bok-Kaap area – Wale Street
Cape Town Stadium
Fort Wynyard (Green Point)
Historical landmarks on the route:
- City Hall, Grand Parade (Darling Street) – Van Riebeeck’s Fort De Goede Hoop (where the Parade is today) where slaves were first housed.
- Whipping Post (cnr Buitenkant & Darling) – The south-western corner of Darling and Buitenkant Streets was once a place of torture and execution. There was a post to which slaves and convicted persons were tied while receiving corporal punishment.
- The Castle of Good Hope – Built by the Dutch / Jan van Riebeeck in 1666 after their arrival. The Castle was erected as a 5 pointed star on the foreshore of Cape Town. It’s the oldest surviving building in SA.
- St Marks Church – Built in 1867 in District Six and has served the Anglicans of that community since then to the present day.
- Aspeling Street Mosque (aka Al-Azhar) – The oldest mosque in District Six founded in 1887.
- Hurling Swing Pump – Prince Street in Gardens. Slaves used to walk long distances to fetch water for their masters on a daily basis.
- Government Avenue passes the SA National Gallery, Cape Town Holocaust Centre, SA Jewish Museum and SA Parliament.
- The Company’s Garden ( Adderley Street) – One of the many gardens worked by Company slaves is at the top of Adderley Street. There is a symbolic slave bell in the Company’ Bells like this were used on farms to call slaves to work.
- George’s Cathedral – The seat of the Archbishop of Cape Town. The cathedral replaced a church built in 1834 on the same site.
- Iziko Slave Lodge (Bureau / Adderley Street) – In 1679 a windowless, brick structure was built to house the slaves of the VOC / Dutch East India Co. The building’s dilapidated and filthy state was reported throughout the 18th century. Besides serving as a labour force for the Company, slaves also worked in the adjacent gardens.
- Palm Tree Mosque (Top of Long Street) – Built in the 1780’s as a house with a prayer room.
- Auwal Mosque (Dorp Street) – It is the oldest mosque in the country. The Muslim faith was brought to South Africa by slaves imported from the East. This mosque’s history dates back to 1794. The property was owned by a freed slave, Salie Coridon of Ceylon.
- Iziko Bo-Kaap Museum – The Bo-Kaap is inhabited mainly by descendants of slaves who were brought here by the Dutch East India Co. in the early days of the settlement. This area is characterised by narrow, cobblestone streets and mosques. Many of the flat-roofed, colourful houses date back to the 18th century. Many slaves were Muslim and were buried above the Bo-Kaap (Tana Baru Cemetery). The burial ground has a magnificent view of the city.
- Tana Baru Cemetery – The Bo-Kaap is inhabited mainly by descendants of slaves who were brought here by the Dutch East India Co. in the early days of the settlement. This area is characterised by narrow, cobblestone streets and mosques. Many of the flat-roofed, colourful houses date back to the 18th century. Many slaves were Muslim and were buried above the Bo-Kaap (Tana Baru Cemetery). The burial ground has a magnificent view of the city.
- Gallows Hill – Somerset Road – Where slaves used to be executed
- Fort Wynyard – Armoury – Green Point
- The Slave Tree Plaque (Spin Street) – This commemorative plaque on the centre island marks the site where the Slave Tree – the place where slaves were auctioned – once stood.